Q. If I was fired or quit my job, can I collect benefits?
A. Only if it is determined you were not fired for misconduct connected with your work, or if you can prove your reason for quitting was due to an unresolved work-related problem caused by the employer.
Q. How long do I have to work before I am monetarily eligible?
A. In New Mexico, your claim is based on the first 4 of the last 5 completed quarters. For example, if you received wages from January, 2001 through March 2002, your claim and monetary computation would be based on wages received between January, 2001 and December 2001 (4 quarters). There are also monetary requirements that must be met during this period. You must have the minimum wages required in at least one quarter and $1.00 of wages in another quarter to be monetarily eligible.
How do I file for unemployment benefits?
Apply By Phone
Dial (505) 841-4000 to apply for a new UI Claim
You will be asked questions about your previous employment. You will be instructed to answer these questions by pressing the correct numbers on the phone
Your call will then be transferred to a Customer Service Representative (CSR) who will complete your claim over the telephone
You will be given additional instructions by the CSR if required.
1. Information needed to file your claim.
- Social Security Number
- Mailing address and phone number(s) of employer(s) you worked for in last 18 months
- The starting and ending dates of your last job (or jobs if more then one employer in last 18 months)
- If non-citizen have your alien registration number and expiration date
- If you worked during the week you are filing your claim, be sure you know the gross amount (total dollars and cents before any deductions) of your pay before filing.
- Pencil and paper to write down questions and instructions
2. To register with the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions, you will click on Claimant login
Registering and Filing your claim will take at least 30 minutes!
If this is the first time, you will enter your social security number and select a personal identification number called your PIN. Your PIN must be (4) numeric characters. Also verify your PIN.You will then enter your mother’s maiden name. Your mother’s maiden name is necessary to verify your identity.
3. After registration, you will click on continue and then select File Claim to begin the process of applying for benefits.
4. After applying for benefits and completing the requested information, you will be presented with confirmation page. Your confirmation page contains basic instructions about your claim. Print and read the confirmation page. It is your proof of filing a claim.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PERTAINING TO FILING YOUR CLAIM
The Internet Unemployment Insurance On-Line Filing Claims System for applying for benefits is available 24 hours a day, except between 2:00 AM and 4:00 AM Mountain Time. In future, you may also use the Internet Unemployment Insurance On-Line Claims System to file your weekly claim (see Filing for weekly Unemployment Insurance Claims Benefits), respond to request for information, review and request benefit information and file appeals.
To file for Unemployment Insurance via the Internet you must first register with the Department of Workforce Solutions by entering your social security number, select a personal identification number(PIN) and also enter your mother’s maiden name. Your mother’s maiden name is necessary to verify your identity.
The effective date of your claim will be the Sunday of the week that you file. Do not delay applying for Unemployment Insurance Benefits. Once your claim is submitted you will be sent a Notice of Initial Determination which provides you with the following information:
- Your weekly and maximum benefit amounts.
- The beginning date of your claim.
- Your wages that are to be used for computing for UI Claims Benefits.
- The amounts of wages reported by each employer during each of the four specific quarters are used for computation of UI Benefits.
File Online Here
Request for Reconsideration of Wages
If you believe wages are listed incorrectly or some of your wages are missing, you must request to initiate a review of your records. If you did not request a review (Request for Reconsideration of Wages) at the time you filed your claim, you can initiate this request by contacting a Customer Service Representative @ (505) 841-4000. You will be asked to provide proof of wages, such as, check stubs, W-2 statements or other documents. You will be instructed to either mail or fax a copy of your documents to the Department.
You must continue to file for claim benefits while your wages are being reviewed unless you return to work. If you fail to file for claim benefits each week you will be required to re-open your case and may not be entitled for benefits during the week you did not file.
Your PIN Number
The Unemployment Insurance On-Line Claims Systems require you to enter a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN). Your PIN is your electronic signature and it will help protect you from another person obtaining information about your claim or filing against your claim.
BE SURE your PIN is easy to remember because you must use it each time you use the Internet or telephone, to file your weekly claim or inquire about your benefits. DO NOT use numbers in a sequence (such as 1234) or numbers in the same sequence (such as 1111 or 2222). NEVER tell anyone your PIN because you are responsible for its use. You should not use any part of your social security number, telephone number or any numbers that could be easily guessed.
If you forget your PIN, when inquiring about your claim or filing your weekly certifications, you will have to establish a new PIN before you can continue. You will have to speak to a Customer Service Representative @ (505) 841-4000. You may also send a request in writing to delete your PIN. If writing, you must provide information to identify yourself, name, social security number, birth date and your signature.
501 Mountain Road NE Albuquerque, NM 87102
Leave a Reply