Do I qualify for unemployment benefits?
You can file a new claim or reopen an existing Alabama claim that was filed within the past year. Weekly Certifications for benefits may be filed online or by telephone.
You CANNOT file a claim online if:
- You worked outside the state of Alabama within the past 18 months.
- You filed a claim against a state other than Alabama in the past 12 months.
- You worked as a merchant seaman in the past 18 months.
- You worked for the federal government within the past 18 months.
- You are currently outside the United States of America.
In the above circumstances, you must call the Alabama Unemployment Compensation Telephone Claims Line, toll free at 866-234-5382, 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM, to determine your eligibility for filing.
Before filing your claim, you MUST have the following information available:
- Your Social Security Number.
- Your work history for the last 18 months, including your employers’ business names, addresses, telephone numbers, and dates of employment.
- Your alien registration number, IF you are not a U.S. Citizen.
- Copy # 4 of your DD Form 214, IF released from the military in the past 18 months.
- Your Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) certification letter and/or TAA petition number, IF you are filing for Trade Adjustment Assistance Benefits.
- The name and local number of your union hiring hall, IF you obtain your work through a union hiring hall.
- Your bank routing number and checking/savings account number, IF Direct Deposit is desired
- A telephone number where you can be reached during normal business hours, ( 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday-Friday ).
The information you provide will be used to determine your eligibility for Unemployment Compensation benefits. It is important that your answers are accurate and complete for each question asked. The law provides penalties for making false statements to obtain unemployment benefits.
How Do I File For Unemployment Benefits?
Unemployment Office Contact Information
To file a new unemployment claim or re-open an existing claim: website www.dir.alabama.gov/uc/ or call 866-234-5382
To file weekly claim certification: web address: www.dir.alabama.gov/uc/ or telephone: Montgomery local area 334-954-4094; Birmingham local area 205-458-2282; or other areas 800-752-7389
To ask or inquire about your unemployment compensationclaim or reset your PIN code: call 800-361-4524
Questions concerning Debit Cards: call 334-353-9084
Questions concerning an unemployment compensation overpayment: call 334-242-8800
Questions concerning Trade Readjustment Allowance (TRA) or Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) training programs: call 334-242-8635
Questions concerning employer filed partial unemployment claims: call 334-242-7953
To request UC-relatedposters, Employer Handbooks, or copies of lost documents or past work history: call 334-242-8945
Employer questions concerning Notice of Separation and Determination: call 334-242-8620
Questions concerning Out-of-State unemployment claims: call 334-242-8625
Questions concerning Employer Tax Account numbers: call 334-242-8830
Questions concerning Delinquent notices, liens, or garnishments: call 334-242-8065
Employer questions concerning Experience Rating, Benefit Charging, Power of Attorneys (POA), or Tax Rate Notices: call 334-242-8888
Employer questions concerning Quarterly Reports, including copies of past reports: call 334-242-8075
Questions regarding re-certifications of taxable wages or proof of payment (940C): call 334-242-8674
Questions concerning 1099-G forms: call 334-242-8960
Claimants approved for direct deposit with questions concerning direct deposits of unemployment compensation benefits: call 334-242-8960
Questions regarding unemployment compensation appeals: See Hearing and Appeals Section of the Contact Page.
File online here:
Official Alabama Unemployment Handbook:
Leave a Reply