The Unemployment Handbook Forum  

Go Back   The Unemployment Handbook Forum > Tell Your Story > The Unemployment Office

The Unemployment Office Has it been a nightmare to file for your unemployment benefits or have you found caring and helpful people at your unemployment office? Share your story about filing your claim and tell us about your experiences in filing for unemployment.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 AM

Default What do you think is most irritating?

I wonder about the people working at the unemployment office. They must answer the same questions every day, and dealing with distraught people probably takes its toll on their emotional outlook.

What do you think irritates the people at the unemployment office most?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:30 AM

I bet there are people who return to the office and still don't have the paperwork they need to keep things going, even after they have been told what to bring several times..

That would drive me nuts, but I bet it happens all the time.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaR View Post
I wonder about the people working at the unemployment office. They must answer the same questions every day, and dealing with distraught people probably takes its toll on their emotional outlook.

What do you think irritates the people at the unemployment office most?
While I understand where you're coming from, they would have no choice but to answer questions politely. It is their jobs, and at least they still have a job. They should be more comp***ionate. They should understand that some of the people they talk to are actually first timers and haven't been laid off before.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaT View Post
I bet there are people who return to the office and still don't have the paperwork they need to keep things going, even after they have been told what to bring several times..

That would drive me nuts, but I bet it happens all the time.
A proper checklist would solve that one. They are to be given to everyone who files a claim.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holigstrom View Post
While I understand where you're coming from, they would have no choice but to answer questions politely. It is their jobs, and at least they still have a job. They should be more comp***ionate. They should understand that some of the people they talk to are actually first timers and haven't been laid off before.
You live in a dream world, Holigstrom. That's the ideal, but these are people too. I guess, unemployment offices should have some sort of a pamphlet or FAQ listing the most-asked questions so that their staff won't be asked too many times.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
A proper checklist would solve that one. They are to be given to everyone who files a claim.
While this is true, many people fail to look at them, fail to take them seriously, or simply can't get what is needed and still come back to the unemployment office.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Even with a comp***ionate presentation of information and a polite attitude, there are still irritations that they deal with once the person in question is gone.

I didn't mean to address their behavior, which is what we see, but their internal thoughts and emotions.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
While they are doing their jobs, they still have feelings.

I imagine some of the aggravation in an unemployment office comes from co-workers or supervisors who demand that all of the necessary work be done at an unreasonable pace.

The next greatest issue would be the sheer number of people needing help. It has to be scary to pull up to the job and see a line of people going around the block, and all of them needing so much help!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:03 PM

Working with people is always hard, especially if you need them to fill out paperwork and gather certain documents. Some people are absolutely terrible with that, they keep messing up, forgetting, losing stuff, etc. And you'd have to patiently deal with that as an employee.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
It won't do any good to anyone especially the unemployed individuals coming to their office seeking ***istance. It is their duty and responsibility. Yes it is true! at least they still have a job therefore they should really practice comp***ion to the not so lucky ones.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:48 PM

Default Its their job!

I have come across this as the rep that was handling my case was out for a few days. I asked if there was anyone else who covers to get the workload down. They said no and said no with an attitude. Now I live in the 3rd lowest unemployment state and I know that it should not be that hard here for them to keep up and also provide excellent customer service. You see, they have a job and they don't seem to be worried that you get a check or not as they get one. Not to mention they also have excellent benefits where we have none. Needless to say, the very next day after I sought to speak with a supervisor, I received my unemployment check plus the past ones where they were behind in 2 days. Whether they like it or not, whether they are tired of working overtime or whether they are stressed from getting yelled or cussed at, it is their damn job and they should be smiling on the other end as they have a way to feed their families.