The Unemployment Handbook Forum  

Go Back   The Unemployment Handbook Forum > Tell Your Story > Success Stories

Success Stories Tell us your success story about finding a new job or starting your own business and getting back on your feet. Your story is an inspiration to millions of people who are unemployed and it gives people hope that it is possible to survive getting laid off and begin again.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:14 PM

Default What I did when I got fired

It's a shocking thing to get fired. I was too numb to think and I think there were some steps that I neglected to do. After talking to friends and co-workers, I realized that there are some things that I just didn't do, or do well enough. So here are some tips on what to do when you get laid off:

Take a look and know more about your separation package. Your employer should provide you with forms and other documents regarding your separation. You should be informed of your severance payment, payment for vacation time that was not used. For some, they are also provided with outplacement or job search ***istance. See if your insurance benefits are being continued (COBRA). Look for information regarding your 401K or other pension plans. Everything you need to know about your collectibles from your company and any ***istance that they might offer should be in this bundle of files and documents. My suggestion is to look it up, see if anything is amiss, ask questions, this should let you be aware of what you have now, what you need to do and where you are both financially and professionally. This would also ensure that you get the maximum benefits being offered to you.

You may also check with your accountant or lawyer if you have any questions.

Immediately share the news with your spouse, family or significant other. It may be automatic for most people, but this is one of the things I neglected to do. I didn't want to tell my husband that I got fired. I was thinking that I could get a job in one week, or perhaps the company made a mistake and ask me back. I was in a big denial trip.

I realized that it was insane. It was difficult, but as soon as I told my husband, it became easier for me. I didn't have to pretend that I was sick or going to work (I even put on make up which I removed after he left for work).

If you have kids, talk to them. Discuss with your partner how to best break the news to the little ones. Take time to digest the news yourself and be prepared to answer their questions. Of course, how you break it to them would depend on how old they are. Teeners usually understand what's happening, while little kids would need some extra explaining. Be age-appropriate.

Lastly, file for unemployment benefits. It may not be much, but that money is yours. And you might need it at some point in your unemployed phase... so claim it.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:16 PM

Thank you for sharing. I wish I had read this when I got laid off a month ago.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:51 PM

I actually went through the same thing you did. I continued my daily routine, getting up at 6am, showering, putting on my suit and then leaving the house to go to the library or cafe. I would sneak back home at 10am and go out again at 3pm. My wife was furious when she found out that I have been fired for more than a month before I told her!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:04 AM
jhellie_baby

thank you for sharing your experience, guess i need that if i will choose to apply again,at least i'm on guard to what should i be doing.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:07 AM

Thank you for sharing. I did get fired once, while I was still at Uni, i didnt go to school for one season, and worked at an expensive Italian clothing store, and I just couldnt show up on time. I felt bad about it, because it was totally my fault. From then on, i started to value coming on time, especially on cl***.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:12 AM

Thank God! I have never been fired yet. Thank you for sharing...
Old 02-21-2009, 08:56 AM

just to ask? why were you fired from your job. Is this jsut recently when the global crisis started setting in?

what a wonderful set of information you've shared to us. at least we'll know what to do if ever we got into the same situation.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:51 AM

Thank you for sharing. I learned a lot and I think because of your experience I know what to do when something similar happens to me.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:17 PM

I am the type of a person who'd tell the family right away, so I find it hard to imagine what you guys went through - those of you who shared that you couldn't tell your spouse right away and pretended to keep going to work... That must have been agonizing.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:29 PM

Oh gosh. I couldn't even imagine being fired and not being able to tell my family about it. How that must have killed your insides. To think there are so many people out there today going through the same thing.

It's just so very sad.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Thank you so very much in sharing your story.

I so appreciate your helpful advice as I am currently in the beginning stages of the being let go process and need as much info as possible.