The Unemployment Handbook Forum  

Go Back   The Unemployment Handbook Forum > State Unemployment Forum > Maine Unemployment

Maine Unemployment Q & A about Maine unemployment benefits from the Maine Department of Labor (MDOL) Unemployment Benefits program. Also, be sure to check out our main Maine Unemployment Information page.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:33 PM

Default school cutback hours

i have been working for a small business for 2 years. it's a seasonal business and at the end of the season my employers promised that although the business would be closing, they would find enough work for me through the winter. they never did, and thus i was unable to file for unemployment because they kept promising me hours which never ensued.

now the problem is that i've decided to go back to college full time and i tried to work as much as i can but my employer refuses to give me random hours to work around my schedule. i have cl***es mon-friday which only gives me saturday and sunday with a total of only 14 hours a week making 12 dollars an hour. this is by no means enough to live off of and so i'm between a rock and a hard place.

the bottom line is, could i be eligible for unemployment if i was refused any extra hours during the week and i cannot afford to live off of $150 bucks a week? my schedule is somewhat scattered which leaves random hours during the week.

please help!