The focus of The Unemployment Handbook is on immediate strategies you can use when you get laid-off like filing for unemployment, saving and budgeting, and finding a new job. While there is a lot to be said for striking out as an entrepreneur, and there is no better place to do it than on the Internet, we won’t spend to much time talking about setting out on your own, just yet.
That said, there are a lot of programmers, techies, and media workers getting laid-off, and a free domain name, hosting, and the raft of other things in this promotion are just the kinds of tools that can help you find a new job, increase your online visibility, or start your own venture online. I’ve signed up for the Microsoft Office Life Small Business offer myself, and there was no request for any payment of credit card information at all, but I can’t speak for the partner offers.
Job hunters can find a lot of useful stuff here too. Searching for a new job is an expensive proposition in itself, so free postage and business cards, and discounts on printing always come in handy. Just be sure to read the offers closely to make sure they don’t opt you in to something you don’t want, or automatically bill you for service once the free offer has been used.
On to the free stuff!
Microsoft Office Life Small Business has a comprehensive suite of tools for people looking to start an online business. Microsoft is giving away a free domain name, free web hosting, and free email accounts… but there’s a lot more to this offer.
In addition to the free domain, hosting, and email, they’ve got an huge list of great partner offers as well:
- 100 free professional designed business cards at Paper Direct
- A fully produced radio advertisement for free at Bid4Spots
- $140 worth of online ads at AdReady.com
- 2 months of trial invoicing at SimplifyThis
- 50 free professional stock photos for your website at PunchStock
- $50 credit with a professional web designer at Elance
- A 90-day premium coupon at ValPak.com
- $10 off at FedEx Office Print
- A free custom logo for your business and website at LogoYes
- 50 free customer leads for your website at WebVisible
- $150 off documents on-demand at Mimeo.com
- $45 in postage for at Stamps.com
- 50 free personalized calendars at Thayer
In order to be eligible for these great offers just sign up at Microsoft Office Live Small Business. This is completely free for the first year, after which it will cost you $14.95 a year.